During June 29 and July 7, 1863, approximately 40,000 troops passed through Taneytown, Md., on their way to, an later from Gettysburg. With the approaching 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, the exhibit highlighted sights and scenes the soldiers may have observed as they passed through this small town.
Among the featured displays were General George Meade’s arrival in Taneytown, MD., on June 29, 1863, and the establishment of his headquarters, which was located at the Lutheran parsonage on Emmitsburg Road, and the field headquarters on the Benjamin Shunk farm on Littlestown Road; General Daniel Sickles June 30 review of this Third Corps troops as they passed through Taneytown and camped on farms on the Littlestown Road; the citizens of Taneytown who greeted the soldiers with cheers of encouragement, flowers, flags, warm bread, and drinks.
Also included was a display of Civil War artifacts, most of which were found in the area of the troops’ camp sites.
> Read more about this exhibit online at the Gettysburg Times…